What is Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banded Plication?
Laparoscopic gastric plication has emerged as a new bariatric procedure with promising results. This paved the path for further innovation and conception of a new procedure known as “Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banded Plication”. This dual restrictive procedure involves gastric greater curvature placation or infolding of the stomach to form a gastric sleeve followed by placement of an adjustable band in the upper part of the stomach.
For more information
Combination of Gastric plication and gastric banding makes it dual restrictive with powerful weight loss comparable to sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass surgery. The rationale behind this surgery is that the plication “switches on” the initial weight loss process. Then adjustment of band further initiates the second phase of weight loss and maintains the success through serial adjustments. In addition to quicker weight loss from gastric plication, far less adjustments are required than with just having the band alone. In LAGBP, the disadvantages of gastric banding and gastric plication are taken off by each other. Gastric band doesn’t let plication to dilate over a period of time and gastric band doesn’t slip now because of the plicated stomach.
Unlike other bariatric surgery procedures, there is no stapling involved with LAGBP. No part of the stomach or intestines is cut or removed either. They are just folded from within followed by band placement. LAGBPcan be reversed to normal anatomy or revised to any other procedure.
FACTS ABOUT LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION
- Dual Restrictive
- No Stapling
- No Cutting
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY GOOD CHOICE FOR ME?
The best and only way to determine which, if any, bariatric surgery is right for you is to schedule a consultation. We will take a thorough obesity history and discuss all of the alternatives, including sleeve Gastrectomy and gastric bypass surgery.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING AND AFTER LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
It takes 2-3 hours to perform. Many people will stay in the hospital for up to two days after the procedure.
Your recovery begins almost immediately after the surgery as you gradually begin to get used to your new way of eating. This starts with a two-week liquid diet that likely will include water, milk, coconut water, fruit juice and lime juice. The next few weeks will involve thicker liquids such as soup with some vegetables, and eventually you can try yogurts and fruits. After this, you will be able to eat all foods in restricted amounts. We start Band adjustments 3 months after the surgery.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
- Potentially Reversible
- Obviates the need for GI resection or anastomosis
- Obviates the need for intestinal bypass and future mal-absorption
- Provides a “bi-phasic” restrictive effect
- Combines benefits of adjustability of gastric band and quick weight loss of gastric plication
- Reduces the need of frequent band adjustments
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF LAPAROSCOPIC ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BANDED PLICATION?
- When we discuss the risks of any bariatric surgery, they must be compared to the serious risks associated with obesity. Risks of gastric plication include bleeding, blood clots, infection, and injury to other organs.
Other LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION -specific risks may include:
- Stomach leakage from the fold
- Blockage of the stomach from swelling or a fold that is too tight
- Fundal herniation
- Band Slippage or infection
DO I NEED TO TAKE BED REST AFTER THE LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
- We encourage you to walk 2-3 hours after the surgery as being active and mobile reduces the risk of deep vein thrombosis. On third day, you are discharged from the hospital and you can return to work within a week.
WILL I EVER REGAIN WEIGHT AFTER LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
- Yes you can if you are not careful with the intake of high calorie liquids or junk food as consumption of them could lead to increased caloric intake. With any bariatric procedure, restriction is only for solid food but not for high calorie liquids or sweets. Good healthy eating habits and regular exercise form the cornerstones of success after bariatric surgery.
WHAT WILL BE MY DIET AFTER THE LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
- You will need to be on a liquid diet for first 15 days after the surgery. This is followed by 15 days of semi-solid foods and then you progress onto solids. Within 2 to 3 months you can have all kinds of foods though in limited quantities.
WHAT IS THE COST OF LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION SURGERY?
- Gastric plication surgery cost varies from 2.5 lakhs to 4 lakhs based on the patients BMI, comorbid conditions, room category & hospital choice.